With the implementation of the recommendations of the State Reorganisation Commission, Abu came back to Rajasthan with effect from 1st November 1956 AD. The Residency became the Raj Bhawan and came to be used as the summer resort of the Governor of Rajasthan.
Residency building (now called Raj Bhawan) is a majestic building constructed in the year 1868 AD over nine bighas of land in the English post–renaissance (Elizabethan) style. Cost involved for construction of building including electrification was Rs. 46305/-.
Originally constructed as official residence of the Agent to the Governor-General (AGG) at the initiative of Lt. Col Eden, the then AGG. The first occupant of the Residency building was Lt. Col R.H. Keatinge, AGG, who moved in on 15th March 1868 AD.
The building has been raised on a hillock. It provides natural elevation and also makes the building visible from different places in Mount Abu. From the building and the terrace gardens, commanding view of the scenery and the Nakki Lake, the cynosure of the hill station, is available.
A piano, still in full working condition, is placed in the drawing room as an exhibit and reminder of the cultural content of the British era. The piano was manufactured by noted company Gebrilder Knake specially for India for S Rose & Company, Fort, Bombay (now Mumbai).