On replacement of the institution of Rajpramukh by the Governor in 1956, two Kothis, namely Civil Lines No. 9 and 10 were earmarked for Raj Bhawan. These together constitute the Raj Bhawan which is spread over a wide area evoking great interest in the passersby, largely owing to its attractive arboriculture and beautifully developed landscape.
Raj Bhawan at Jaipur formally came into being on 1st November 1956 AD when Sardar Gurumukh Nihal Singh entered the Office of Governor.
There are three gates in the front of the Raj Bhawan, the Central Gate, known as Singh Dwar, being the main entrance. The other gates are used for entry into the Governor’s Secretariat and for ceremonial occasions.
After the security check on the Singh Dwar, the guest/visitor(both on his right and left) is impressed by the tastefully cultivated vegetation, and at a short distance of 51.83 meteres from the Singh Dwar, he is face to face with a jet colour fountain. In the evening, the changing colours of the fountain present a very attractive and delightful sight. The flower beds with predominance of rose around the fountain look very attractive. During summer, cool breeze with aroma of flower is very refreshing.
The Raj Niwas, residence of Hon’ble Governor, nomenclature given during 2002-03, has a neat appearance, characteristic of the architectural style of the Kothis in Jaipur. In keeping with the architectural tradition of the pink city, it is painted pink. Arriving in the white marble pillared porch of the Raj Niwas, one is struck by engraved floral designs on the four pillars. A wooden and stone doorway, carved in elegant local style is installed as the main entrance on the ground floor and Haveli style parapets are at first floor terrace.
The drawing room of Raj Niwas offers a sweeping view of the back lawns surrounded by all trees. Its walls are adorned by traditional Rajasthan miniature paintings, some of which date back to the 18th /19th century, as also paintings of the great warrior Maharana Pratap and renowned devotional poet Meera by artist A. H. Mullar.
Next to the drawing room is a multipurpose sitting room that extends into the Banquet hall. The walls of the Banquet hall are adorned with Belgian glass mirrors in wooden frames carved in oriental style. It has ten chandeliers of Belgian cut glass lighting and decorating the coffered ceiling. The Banquet hall is used for official functions, cultural events and formal lunches and dinners.A remarkable painting by artist Chhaganlal Gaur depicting court scene of Mewar Rana Bhim Singh for the year 1818 AD in which the Maharana is sitting on a chair while Rajput nobles and British officers squatting on the ground graces the Raj Bhawan. This was the status of British officers in the beginning.
A lush green lawn with size of 53.96 m X 47.26 m = 2550.15 sq. meters at the back of the Raj Bhawan is a Centre of beauty and gives a perspective to the building. The lawn has tall trees, and standing in the lawn, regardless of the weather, one is automatically attracted towards the tall trees, of a startling variety, and flower beds blooming with seasonal flowers.
Luxurious vegetation of Raj Bhawan, perhaps the richest in Jaipur in a residential bungalow, attracts the birds. The peacocks and peahens are a common sight in the Raj Bhawan and can be noticed on the housetops, walking majestically in lawns or perching on the branches of the trees. During rainy season, the dancing peacocks present a very attractive common sight. The chirping of birds produce very scintillating music pleasant to the ears. A distinctive feature pertaining to bird life is that the trees where the birds perch are by an unknown phenomenon earmarked for parrots, crows and mynahs. It is delightful sight to see a tree green with parrots and black with crows.